[Squeakfoundation]core addon packages

Stephen Pair squeakfoundation@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 10:30:18 -0500

Rob,

> I like your focus on building a minimal bootstrap image and
> describing how to build onto it.  Also the exercise of
> defining core service frameworks that can go on top of the
> base.  We should be able to agree on a single events
> framework, XML parser framework, base networking framework,
> etcetera. I don't believe this will stiffle innovation, but
> it will allow us to explicitly define and document (and
> publish!) core packages.

You have more faith than I in the consensus building process...but sure,
the fittest solutions in each of those areas will emerge over time and
different implementations will converge on a single solution.

> So what would we define as core addon packages?

I have no idea.

> Regarding online images:  are you suggesting that the squeak
> map directory
> point to live images for the latest packages?!?   Fantastic!

No, I was suggesting that people could make their own squeak images
available on line.  But having live images serving up the packages will
be the smart thing to do in the long run.  Dumb FTP and HTTP servers can
take you only so far.

- Stephen