[Squeakfoundation]Ad-hoc final harvesting for 3.4

Tim Rowledge squeakfoundation@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Sun, 08 Dec 2002 21:06:56 -0800

> There are about 30 submissions since OOPSLA that I think are worth
> briefly reviewing on this list.  These are pretty much all of the
> submissions which aren't either large enhancements or standalone
> packages, and which aren't already incorporated into 3.4beta.

As a general principle I'd like to point out that nothing that is not a
fix for a fairly big bug should go into a beta release. Ned's
FileDirectory fixups count as such a fix, for example. Prettier fonts or
a better class comment would not. Remember, we wanted 3.4 to be a quick
release to incorporate SM and step back from the modules path.

> 1. Ones that I think could probably go in 3.4:
>
> [FIX][VM] SLANG zapping warning messages fum does not return int, or
> variable foo not used (29 November 2002) * John M McIntosh (29 November
> 2002)
> http://swiki.gsug.org:8080/sqfixes/2843.html
> [FIX] (vmparameter, plugin fixes) (24 November 2002) * John M McIntosh
> (24 November 2002)
> http://swiki.gsug.org:8080/sqfixes/2815.html
> - These are fixes which John is making to the Mac VM, so I'm inclined to
> just include them.  Perhaps Tim (VM harvester) can comment.
I really don't think these are good candidates for 3.4 since they don't
fix bugs as such. I've also found that the 'correcting' of int functions
to void functions causes a sizable cascade of further required changes
unless your compiler is willing to overlook badly mixed type
declarations. John & I have been discussing this and will continue to do
so. My current opinion is that some changes to the Slang code and
compiler will be needed to do it right.

tim
--
Tim Rowledge, tim@sumeru.stanford.edu, http://sumeru.stanford.edu/tim
Strange OpCodes: QVC: Question Valid Command