[Squeakfoundation]Ad-hoc final harvesting for 3.4

goran.hultgren@bluefish.se squeakfoundation@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 09:24:26 +0100

Ned Konz <ned@bike-nomad.com> wrote:
> On Monday 09 December 2002 05:49 am, Daniel Vainsencher wrote:
> > > [FIX] UUID-Fix-CdG (19 November 2002) * cg@cdegroot.com (19
> > > November 2002)
> > > http://swiki.gsug.org:8080/sqfixes/2786.html
> > > - Discussed in Goran's post.  It sounds like there is some
> > > agreement that we should go with this simple fix for now, and fix
> > > Random sometime in the future, since that is much more involved.
> >
> > Ok, has this been tested by someone other than the poster for all
> > the relevant situations (unix/notunix with sound input/neither of
> > the above)? Other than that, I'd take it, as a temporary solution.
> > A real UUID generator accessing the MAC of an interface and so
> > forth would be better.
>
> I'm a bit wary of using the sound interface. This can cause Squeak to
> hang in some cases on Unix systems.

I am going to test this fix on my XP home laptop and on Linux. Note that
it first uses /dev/urandom and if that fails it tries sound instead. So
it shouldn't even try sound on Linux/Unix. And when it does try sound it
does this by reusing #randomBitsFromSoundInput: *that is already in the
image*!

So I see no obvious harm in this fix, but I will try it of course.

regards, Göran