[Squeakfoundation]base image distribution

PhiHo Hoang squeakfoundation@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 21:32:46 -0500

Rob,

> could you tell us a little about MobVM and how it bootstraps itself?  for
> instance, do you have an image that accesses the network to download
plugins
> or is it inside of the c code?  Is it written in slang?

    MobVM uses the services provided by the OS (Windows) to download
    everything except SqM.exe, SqMOM.dll and SqM.ini.

    Straight C is used to access the OS services, no Slang, no primitives.
    During the bootstrapping phase, there is no image (at the early stage,
    not even the interpreter.)

    If you do a 'Smalltalk listLoadedModules' you will see the order in
which
    the plugins were loaded. On my system, it looks like this:

#('LargeIntegers v1.2 5 September 2002 (e)' 'B2DPlugin 5 September 2002 (e)'
'FloatArrayPlugin 5 September 2002 (e)' 'Matrix2x3Plugin 5 September 2002
(e)' 'BitBltPlugin 9 November 2002 (e)' 'MiscPrimitivePlugin 5 September
2002 (e)' 'WindowPlugin September 2002 (e)' 'DropPlugin 5 September 2002
(e)' 'FilePlugin 5 September 2002 (e)' 'SecurityPlugin 5 September 2002 (e)'
'MegaVI4InterpreterPlugin Halloween 2002 (e)' 'ModManPlugin Sep. 2002 (e)'
'PlatformPlugin September 2002 (e)' 'PlugManPlugin September 2002 (e)'
'SqMOM September 2002 (e)' 'SqPOP September 2002 (i)')

    'LargeIntegers'  was the last plugin loaded. SqM.exe is itself counted
as
    a plugin (the internal name is 'SqPOP')

    However, this doesn't mean that one cannot write a primitive
    to download file based on services exposed by SqMOM plugin.

    Such a primitive is only operational after a suitable set of objects
    are loaded into the OM and properly initialised.

> I don't really know, but I was imagining that a basic SqueakMap installer
> could be loaded into the base squeak image with the ability to load SARs
> from the disk. I think it would be useful to let SqueakMap load both
> packages and plugins.  This is because I am seeing that
> SqueakMap tracks loaded packages...

    The plugins I was talking about are the ones needed
    before SqueakMap came into action.

    As soon as SqueakMap is active it should take over,
    because it has more knowledge of the packages and plugins.

    Sorry for the confusion.

     Cheers,

    PhiHo.