[Squeakfoundation]base image distribution

Rob Withers squeakfoundation@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 00:25:15 -0500

hi PhiHo,

thanks for the overview.  When you first introduced your non-existent vm to
the list, I knew it was cool.  I had a few questions about what you wrote,
if I may..

From: "PhiHo Hoang" <phiho.hoang@rogers.com>
> > could you tell us a little about MobVM and how it bootstraps itself?
for
> > instance, do you have an image that accesses the network to download
> plugins
> > or is it inside of the c code?  Is it written in slang?
>
>     MobVM uses the services provided by the OS (Windows) to download
>     everything except SqM.exe, SqMOM.dll and SqM.ini.

This can't be that hard to do cross-platform, can it?  I see that the files
are around 10kb, too.

so, what do these plugins do?
Pop
Mom
Plugman
Modman

>     Such a primitive is only operational after a suitable set of objects
>     are loaded into the OM and properly initialised.

this is an interesting thought.  We should build the smallest image that can
run SqueakMap, with the smallest vm.

I liked what you have written here: http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2834.

cheers,
rob