[Squeakfoundation]Re: final fixes for 3.4beta

Scott Wallace squeakfoundation@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 23:16:03 -0800

Hi, Doug, and all,

All right, these have now all been published to the 3.4beta internal
update stream, as updates 5148-5156.

I'll plan on forwarding them to the external stream on Wednesday
night, unless any objections have been heard by then.

Concerning the 3.4 gamma release, note that (as per Dan's
long-standing practice) a new *image* will be released at that time,
i.e. the gamma consists not only of the final beta code-base simply
renamed, but also of an actual image with specific content in it.
The primary point of the gamma cycle(s) is to vet and perfect that
gamma image, which will evolve into the final released 3.4 image.

For 3.4, I presume that we will make only very minor modifications to
the "Worlds of Squeak" projects found in 3.0 and 3.2.  These projects
are looking pretty dated by now, but given our goals for 3.4, I think
we should probably just live with them.

The contents of the text windows on the welcome screen ("Read Me"; "A
Word of Caution", etc.) need modification as well.  I have mostly
completed a basic pass at editing the contents of these windows to
bring them forward to 3.4.

If the Guides wish to provide different content for any of these
windows in the release image, or wish to add any further information
in new windows, e.g. windows perhaps titled "SqueakMap" or "The
Squeak Guides," then now would be a good time to be authoring that
content.

Thanks,

   -- Scott