[Squeakfoundation]Organization Foundation

Cees de Groot squeakfoundation@lists.squeakfoundation.org
21 Jan 2002 23:47:38 +0100

Mark Mullin <mark@vibrant3d.com> said:
>1) I don't agree with the proposal to make a restricted official
>communications mechanism for organizational issues.

I think that's the general sentiment here (for various reasons), and I sorta
expected it. Good, we won't use the extra mailing list for now (note, people,
that you can always mailing lists/project swikis for your work).

>[..], hell you can even go get the slash code and set up a whole
>community site.
Talking about slash code, I was thinking about a weblog-like site, but I'm
sort of hesitant to run Squeak sites off non-Squeak servers. Really, I'd like
to go into 'dogfood mode' as soon as possible with as much as possible. A
Comanche-based weblog wouldn't be too hard, would it?

>3a) I'd recommend one approach be to exploit the current problems with Java.
[...]

For that, I think Squeak needs to be stronger in the pink plane part -
for business apps, a lot is lacking (for comparison, check the bundled
packages of Visual Works). At the minimum, a source code management
system (rather StORE or ENVY than CVS as an example), an extensive and
well-documented web framework (Comanche and SSP?), including XML/RPC,
SOAP, etcetera, and more database support (more types of databases;
an object database - either pick up MinneStore or use Squeak's own
serialization/image segments with that Smalltalk-based transaction manager
I think someone announced last year) would be necessary, IMHO. The VM
can probably use some tuning as well...

Luckily, the OS market is breaking open. Today, it was announced that M$
has unilaterally (duh) decided to raise the prices on the educational licenses
with 100% to 400%, and schools must sign before February or else deinstall
Windows. On national television, the cabinet minister responsible for
education reacted: "well, we are negotiating with them, it's not really a
customer-friendly move. Of course, schools are free to chose the software the
like: Linux, Windows, ...".

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg@cdegroot.com>