[Squeakfoundation]Brainstormin'

Leandro Caniglia squeakfoundation@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 14:54:13 -0300

Hi Mark!

Unfortunately you are right. We aren't teaching [with]
Squeak right now at UBA. But I were from 1997 to 2001. I
teached Squeak all the time in two courses: "Objetos
Matematicos en Smalltalk" and "Elementos de Calculo
Numerico" (I write the names in Spanish because the words
are similar in English), and directed the Francisco Garau's
Thesis on Type Inference in Squeak.

Currently we aren't teaching, but we are giving some Squeak
support to a research group on Homological Algebra.

Anyway, let me say that Squeak has changed my vision of
Mathematics so deeply that I don't need to be teaching
Squeak to teach Squeak. When I teach pure mathematics, in
some sense, I'm always teaching (and thinking in) Squeak.
Having had a formal education in Pure Mathematics (I have a
Ph.D.), I think of Alan Kay and Dan Ingalls as
mathematicians (of a new kind of math), not because their
background, but because their spirit and contributions to
Science.

/Leandro