[Squeakfoundation]Brainstormin'

Eric Scharff squeakfoundation@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 14:28:37 -0800 (PST)

--- Maarten Maartensz <maartens@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> You are quite right, and I am glad to hear about  some
> universities using
> and teaching it I didn't yet know about. My general point was
> and is in
> line with Tim Rowledge's "Get off your butts!", in the sense
> that I see a
> group of dedicated people working hard on a very good thing -
> that needs
> not only good developers (which there are), but also an
> "officially
> recognized status" in society, in the universities, and in the
> media.

Although I can neither speak for the University of Colorado,
Boulder Squeak community, nor can I assert that we are doing
good stuff, I just wanted to put in a word as a semi-lurker.

We are using Squeak heavily in our work, and I personally am
using Squeak more and more.  I would love to contribute more,
but I have kept my mouth shut because I really need to finish my
Ph.D. dissertation, and Squeak is precisely the distraction I
don't need.  Hopefully soon I can get back to the fun stuff. :)

I mention this because I suspect that there are groups out there
like ours.  We have been using Squeak, and we love it.  I for
one want to contribute more, but contribution takes time from
us.

I am glad that SqueakFoundation is thinking about improving
social structures to enhance contribution.  As a lurker, I would
make a few suggestions on ways to encourage more participation,
so it doesn't appear that a small group is doing all the work:

* Integrating Squeak into SQF workflow.  Squeak has the
potential to be an outstanding collaborative technology.  Since
we're contributing to Squeak, the tool should help us do this.
Systems like SCAN, Modules, Swiki, SuperSwiki, Projects,
Nebraska, chat, and many I don't even know about are all steps
in the right direction.  But we need to have some fluid way of
dealing with changes.

* Have central contact points for sensible things.  I think this
is the biggest reason why I've not contributed, because I would
want to maintain what I do, and I can't do that right now.
Therefore, understanding the social structure would be
dramatically helpful.

* Have a scheme for discussing contributions.  We do this
informally on the Squeak mailing list, but perhaps we could make
this process more explicit.  Has anyone used my change?  Has
anyone had recommendations for enhancements?  Are there any bug
fixes needed?

I'll stop rambling now, but I want to say that I love Squeak,
and would love to get off my butt.  Anyone want to write a
dissertation for me?

-Eric Scharff