ImageSegment analysis (was Re: [Squeakfoundation]New mailing list request for Bellesqueak (CSOTD included!))

Bijan Parsia squeakfoundation@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 11:40:35 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 28 Jan 2002 goran.hultgren@bluefish.se wrote:

> Bijan Parsia <bparsia@email.unc.edu> wrote:

[snipped violent agreement]

> > <CSOTD>"OK, I'm finalling doing one of these. This uses ImageSegments to
> > help figure out memory consumption of your objects:"
> >
> > String streamContents: [:strm |
> > 		(ImageSegment new copyFromRootsForExport: Browser allInstances)
> > 					printSpaceAnalysisOn: strm]
> > </CSOTD>
>
> Hehe! Go, go...

Hmm. Now that I've posted this, I can ask: What *exactly* does it
analyze? How deep does it go?

Also, if I want to dump and image segment to disk and read it back in
*not* as a project, how do I do it? Is it worth doing?

I.e., I'm looking for code analogous to ReferenceStream's
	rr _ ReferenceStream fileNamed: 'test.obj'.
	rr nextPut: <your object>.
	rr close.

etc.

I managed to dump a segment, but I'm completely unclear how to read one
back in. Is there any point to using an ImageSegment over a
ReferenceStream?

(Don't have another CSOTD handy :))

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.