AW: [Squeakfoundation]New mailing list request for Bellesqueak

Andreas Raab squeakfoundation@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 17:43:27 +0100

Paul,

Nice (and pretty long ;-) memo. However, I am somewhat surprised to see
you so focused on licensing issues. After all, if you're really off the
blue plane you can choose any license _you_ want. If people agree with
it they'll follow. If not you gotta figure out how to fix it.

But seriously, wouldn't it be time to start thinking about what
BelleSqueak wants to do besides discussing licensing issues?! ;-) In
response to Cees message ("what do other people think") I would like to
post my reaction depending on the content and not the license. In other
words, if I think that your proposal is a step into a direction that
might benefit the community in any way (be that for research, commercial
or just fun purposes) I'd certainly lobby for it. And I could rarely
care less about the license you choose as long as it is somewhat
reasonable. However, if the agenda of BelleSqueak is basically to "have
a different licensing model" I don't see a lot of benefit for the
community here. After all, as long as you're doing it for your own
personal purposes you _can_ use GPLed code. Nobody is arguing that parts
of the code within Squeak need a clarification on the license but that
doesn't quite justify a "ground up rewrite", does it?!

Cheers,
  - Andreas

> -----Urspr=FCngliche Nachricht-----
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D