3.4 Road map and Refactorings (was: [Squeakfoundation]Order of business ...)

Avi Bryant squeakfoundation@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Fri, 15 Nov 2002 16:04:22 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 16 Nov 2002 danielv@netvision.net.il wrote:

> Well, so far I got little response on the list to the 3.4 roadmap I
> proposed. Here's what I proposed:
> **********
> Applications that should be made removable and maybe removed -
>  - Celeste (I'll adapt to 3.4a and post the code for review in next few
> weeks)
>  - PWS (I've looked at Colins code, it looks fine except for some minor
> issues I'll address in an email soon)
>  - IRC (trivial)
>  - Scamper (volunteers? warning - requires starting to refactor and
> separate out some of the HTML/URL stuff in the image - not for the faint
> of heart ;-)
>  - Balloon3D (was made unloadable by Henrik in 3.3a - make sure it is
> now, too)

Some other simple ones:

 - Sound/Speech
 - Genie
 - StarSqueak
 - Etoys ;)

> Anyone here know of other things that should/can enter 3.4? Probably not
> all of the above are going to happen in 3.4. Doug, have you decided what
> we're doing about the existing backlog? Luciano appears happy to help...

Just a minor thing, but the TimeStamp class from Comanche, or better yet
the ANSI compatible one that was kicking around the Wiki somewhere, would
be nice to have.  Comanche's SocketStream and ConnectionHandler (or
equivalents) are also essential, but it looks like Michael's on top of
that.

Also really minor: TestRunner>>gatherTestNames needs to return a sorted
collection.  Perhaps Ned's TestRunner enhancements changeset should be
included? (Assuming SUnit itself isn't stripped out - and actually I'd
vote for leaving it in, to keep the overhead of writing tests to a
minimum).

Mmm... I don't understand how anyone can live without my ParenBlinking
changeset, but maybe that's just me ;).

$0.02 CDN
Avi