[Squeakfoundation]Guides frozen at 6!

squeakfoundation@lists.squeakfoundation.org squeakfoundation@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 10:22:53 +0100

Ok, since noone is touching this potato I will do it:

When we first formed the Guides we said that 3-4 is a nice figure. Then
we grew a bit from that (Craig, Daniel) so we are now 6. Then I wrote
that 6 is probably enough - hey, we will rotate etc and you don't need
to be a Guide to do stuff.

Then I started sketching out roles since I believe that it is VITAL that
we have some form of structure in our work and the absolute MINIMAL is
to at least have ROLES that we are aware of.

When doing that Ned added a few roles I had missed and then I realized
we couldn't fill all these roles. So I thought that hey, perhaps we can
just pick up one or two more Guides and fill them. I also wrote to that
effect.

But giving it more thought I think that we should stay at 6 and instead
make it absolutely clear that you don't need to be a Guide to do these
kind of things. Scott Wallace will hopefully still keep the update
stream in order (I hope) for a while at least (together with Doug).
Bruce will still keep churning out those downloads of Squeak and Cees
will hopefully still want to take responsibility of the external
relations aspect.

This is important - let's keep the Guides group at the size of 6 so that
it can communicate without too much overhead. And instead of being
tempted to grow that group - let's put down all these other roles we
alread have in the community. We alread have Cees in charge of SqF (more
or less), Russel Allen and Ted Kaehler are already in charge of the
www.squeak.org website etc.

And then in 6 months or something - we rotate - so everybody will get a
"chance" of burning away some otherwise perfectly free time that you can
spend with friends and family. :-)

I also apologize to Cees for "messing it up" like this. ;-)

So, Tim, Daniel, Ned, Craig, Doug - let me hear your voices.

regards, Göran