[Squeakfoundation]re: versioning the system (was "One more update for 3.2.1?")

Craig Latta squeakfoundation@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 18:31:32 -0800

Hi--

	Doug writes:

> ...easy access to SqueakMap was the main point of the 3.2.1
> release...

	I was under the impression that 3.2.1 wasn't a "release", but a place
to get some stuff organized outside the mainstream release sequence.

	Regardless, I have some concerns... I think having more than one
non-major number in a version stamp is an unecessary source of
confusion, as is creating a new version number logically lower than an
existing one. "3.2.1" is lower than *two* previously-discussed stamps
(3.3 and 3.4), one of which has been aborted (3.3). That seems like a
lot of unecessary confusion to me.

	I think, at least in the future, we should feel free to just create
(and cancel :) new higher minor releases as necessary, and be diligent
about the meanings of the release stage names ("alpha", etc.; see, e.g.,
http://netjam.org/smalltalk/versions.html). It'd also be nice to be able
to look up a list of feature highlights for each release (old, current,
and planned), without having to go through old email. (I didn't see
anything like that in a cursory search through web space.)

	thanks,

-C

--
Craig Latta