[Squeakfoundation]A Gentle Introduction to the Squeak Community

Ian Piumarta squeakfoundation@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Sat, 23 Nov 2002 22:01:56 +0100 (MET)

On Sat, 23 Nov 2002, Ned Konz wrote:

> * to whom would it matter whether RMS would call Squeak Open Source?
>
> I'm not sure. Perhaps to people wanting to incorporate Squeak into
> some OSI-blessed distribution? By the time they get to that point,
> though, they'd have already read the Squeak License and become more
> familiar with Squeak.

FWIW, just to clarify: I don't think our beef is with RMS at all, but
rather with The Church of Eric Raymond (and its disciples) and their
tactics of "conversion by threat of ex-communication".

Maybe I should have said "the GNU Project [aka RMS and friends] refuse to
align themselves with `Open Source'", although they do so for different
reasons to the ones that concern us.  There's an article by RMS that
includes some comments on the "Free Software vs. Open Source community
split" which can be read in Emacs by typing "C-H C-P".  (It's a copy of an
article he wrote for the book "Open Sources".)

Ian