[Squeakfoundation]A Gentle Introduction to the Squeak Community

goran.hultgren@bluefish.se squeakfoundation@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 09:47:42 +0100

cg@cdegroot.com (Cees de Groot) wrote:
>  <goran.hultgren@bluefish.se> said:
> >> Not much. We should provide a link to the actual text of the license
> >> and leave it at the original wording.
> >
> >And/or perhaps a link to a FAQ explaining as much as possible.
> >
> Gee. I was hoping that you guys had some other nits to pick on the 'Gentle
> Introduction'. But, yes, I was planning to make the sentence 'not open source'

:-) I got caught up in this thread, I will read the full intro and get
back to you again.

> a link to a page where I, to the best of my ability (some 15 years of reading
> licenses and having discussions like these ;-)) explain what the
> 'shortcomings' of the SqL are w.r.t 'Open Source' and 'Free Software'.

Goodie.

> >Secondly - this DOES indeed matter a lot to developers in the "open
> >source/free software" world. Hey, just ask them and you will discover.
> >
> Yup. That's why I want to have this cleared up for newbies right at the
> beginning.
>
> >[...] or someone else, like one of
> >the three Swedes that got branded as terrorists by the US (now at least
> >one of them has gotten off that list), that the US has decided to
> >embargo of course...
> >
> How do I get on that list? Pleasepleaseplease? ;-}

[Political flamesuit on, but I can not resist because I really thinks
this suck bigtime]
Well, I don't know - the funny thing is that if you end up on that list
they will not tell you why (so you can not defend yourself) and they
will freeze your assets. These three guys have been going through a lot
and now one is off and the other two are still working on it AFAIK. Note
that the US finally presented their "evidence" to our government but it
was deemed to not be enough and after more pressure from our government
the US finally dropped him off the list.

Now... I may be naive but convicting someone without a trial? And
without even telling him what he has done? Come on! What are you guys
doing over there?
[Political flamesuit off]

> >Sidenote: Hey, there are even 4 packages under GPL and 3 under LGPL on
> >SM, even though these licenses probably doesn't work in the image model!
> >
> And that's something that needs cleaning up, otherwise we won't scale as a
> community, I think. I will add something to the extent 'GPL considered
> harmful' in the text I promised to write above.

Yes, and if Andrew could help you out - drop him an email to get some
more info. He has been in contact with RMS and what RMS said etc is IMHO
important to present to all those FSFers (the stuff about the GPL/LGPL
being unsuited for the image model etc). And I have a whole bunch of
postings about the license problems both from the squeak-dev and the OSI
list.

regards, Göran