[Squeakfoundation]Re: Sublicensing seems possible

Ted Kaehler Ted at SqueakLand.org
Tue Apr 1 20:23:59 CEST 2003

Cees,
	I have no specific information on what Apple thinks, other
than what I heard while trying to get this license approved 7 years
ago.
	If you go to Apple asking for a change in the license, it
opens the whole question of why this license exists.  Apple will
evaluate whether or not various changes are beneficial to them.
	Apple cannot legally revoke the license, but they can do
things to "shake the tree", and put doubt into people's minds.

	If you start a company based on the current license, Apple
has no incentive to do anything.  I would not hesitate to start a
company based on the current license.  (My statements on the subject
don't change anything.)

	Don't forget that Squeak is based on a license for Smalltalk
that Xerox granted to Apple.
	Since you have seen and worked with the Xerox and Apple code
inside Squeak, you can't generate parallel 'clean room' code
yourself.  Some stranger would have to do it.

--Ted.

--
Ted Kaehler         http://www.squeakland.org/~ted/
(home) 3261 Montecito Drive, Las Vegas, NV 89120.  voice (702) 456-7930