[Squeakfoundation]Re: Sublicensing seems possible

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at netvision.net.il
Thu Apr 3 04:56:31 CEST 2003

The subprojects mentioned are new. Schools are starting to think about
all the teacher hours they could pay with their software licensing
budgets. Various user groups are starting to tailor free alternatives
for them to consider. People often check out and maybe even use whatever
tools they have preinstalled on their computers. Do you see where this is
going?

[what's stopping open source/free software people from contributing to
Squeak]
If they happen to know about Smalltalk, or like reading licenses for
fun, probably nothing. If they compare Python and Squeak, notice that
Squeak isn't DFSG, and isn't OSI (but Python is...), they might just
think "why bother?". And there goes another one...

BTW, have you looked at the DFSG? if you did, you might wish Squeak's
license did fit that definition, because it's really quite nice.
Licenses that are _fair_... gee, imagine that.

Daniel