Should "Weakness weakness" hold up 3.5? (Was: RE: [Squeakfoundation]Re: [UPDATES] 3.5gamma)

Brent Vukmer bvukmer at blackboard.com
Thu Apr 3 09:40:15 CEST 2003

For folks that haven't been following this too closely:

The bug that Andreas's fix addressed was: "adding inst var to ClassDescription breaks ClassBuilder" ( http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3058 ).  According to Andreas, this bug only happened when one re-compiled Behavior, ClassDescription, or Class.  This bug was an obstacle for Nathanael Scharli's Traits project.  That bug appears to be fixed.

Tim discovered a separate bug, caused by how ClassBuilder validates the matchup between superclass format and subclass format during recompilation of a "variable" class with at least one "weak" subclass.  I posted a tentative fix.  I am not at all sure how many ways one could break that class-format validation logic.  The format validation check may well need more logic for matching the various class formats ( the original logic was "if newType ~~ oldType then throw error" ).