[Squeakfoundation] 3.5 Release Date (was Re: A naive question about the speedoptimization of anthony)

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Fri Apr 4 20:48:07 CEST 2003

Hi all.  According to the 3.5 plan, the original "First Fridays" final release
date for 3.5 was today, Friday the 4th.

I posted in "WeakArray bug" thread that I don't think we need to hold up the
3.5 release for a fix for that particular bug, since it's an old bug, we
haven't agreed on a fix, and even an agreed-upon fix would need some time for
testing.

However, there's also the issue of possibly adding the closure-compatible VM
additions.  I actually don't have a big problem with adding these in 3.5, if
the various VM folks agree that it's a good idea, since they can't really
affect anything else.  I am assuming there are no licensing issues with the VM
additions... they'd just be Squeak-L.  Let's hear some opinions from the
VM-interested folks on this.

The other issue is that we originally planned to have a 3.6 Release Plan ready
as part of the 3.5 final release.  We still have some work to do on that, so
in any case I think it might be a good idea to postpone the 3.5 release to
next Friday, the 11th.  This will give us some time to hash out a rough 3.6
plan (it doesn't have to be that detailed), and also time to decide whether to
include the closure VM additions.  I like the idea of still releasing it on a
Friday, too. :-)

I wouldn't normally be this cavalier about postponing a release date, but in
this case I think there isn't that much demand to see 3.5 right away, since it
doesn't have much new stuff and since 3.4 was released quite recently.  3.6
will probably be a different story.

Does this sound reasonable?

- Doug