[Squeakfoundation]3.6 MasterPlanner!?

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Fri Apr 4 21:27:51 CEST 2003

> goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:

> > Ok, so lets be quick here - Ned, Tim or Me+Doug? And please don't start
> > discussing the need for someone doing this - Doug wants someone and he
> > *is* in charge of the update stream so darnit, just accept the fact that
> > we need someone doing this. :-)

Ok, since neither Ned, Tim nor Craig volunteered for this task, I think we
should go with the Goran+Doug master planner plan, so we can move forward.  I
can understand that no one might jump at volunteering for this particular
task... it could make one rather unpopular.  But if it's going to be
Goran+Doug, I can simply blame Goran for any poor decisions. ;-)

> > As soon as we have this decided the MasterPlanner(s) should probably IMO
> > start a quick "round up" thread on squeak-dev to collect ideas on what
> > 3.6 will/should/could be made of.

Um, yes.  You can start that up if you'd like.

One thing about the plan that I think we have agreed on to some extent is the
4-month time period, and the notion that the release date would generally be
more firm than the release content.  When I proposed this, there was some
agreement, and no disagreement.  With the First Fridays system, the release
date would be August 1st.  So, if there are no last-minute disagreements,
let's consider this part of the plan as set in stone.

Other than that, I think Daniel's list of items below is a good start.  Some
items such as the "simulator fixes by Craig" might even be a finer level of
granularity than is necessary for a release plan.  Most bug fixes do not
really need to be in the plan.  However, if the simulator fixes are
large/significant fixes, then sure, we can include them in the plan.

Items I might add to the list are:

* Apply some number of package removals to the image.  (Perhaps you were
taking this one for granted.)  I don't think we should try to plan exactly
which ones will be removed, but we could set a rough goal of a certain number
of MB removed from the image, perhaps.
* Remove the Apple fonts from the image, and replace them with functionally
similar bitmap fonts.  We would still need to decide whether this meant the
Accufonts, or a move to ISO-8859-1.

- Doug