[Squeakfoundation]Re: Refactor tag

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Tue Apr 8 10:44:02 CEST 2003

Hi all

After thinking about it I think that having [KCP][ENH] would be the
best.
Note that while cleaning we are also removing bugs. Such as sending a
message isMeta to behavior breaks, or other methods calling method only
defined in subclasses.

Is it ok for you?

Stef

On Monday, April 7, 2003, at 11:00 PM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> Am Montag, 07.04.03 um 21:45 Uhr schrieb Doug Way:
>>
>> Stephane Ducasse wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi doug
>>>
>>> Is there a special tag for the cleaning changeset. In the past I saw
>>> [Refactoring], there are simply ENH but in general they do no add
>>> anything.
>>
>> We probably should add an official [REFACTOR] or [REF] or similar tag
>> to the
>> list of tags parsed by the SQFIXES page, since it really is separate
>> from
>> [ENH], [FIX], etc.  Also add it to the list on
>> http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/398.
>>
>> Sometimes a submission will be a combination of [FIX][REFACTOR] or
>> [ENH][REFACTOR], in which case both tags can be used.  But some of
>> the Kernel
>> Cleaning Group's submissions will probably just be pure refactorings.
>>
>> How about [REFACTOR] as the tag?  [REFACTORING] feels too long (much
>> longer
>> than the other tags), and [REF] feels kind of short, although [REF]
>> would
>> probably be okay too.
>
> I strongly accociate REF with "reference" ... how about RFC? Uh,
> strong association, too. FAC? Could do.
>
>> Does this sound reasonable to you, Bert?
>
> No problem here, I can add any tags you want ;-)
>
> Still, I would consider refactorings to be enhancements for
> readability and maintainability, which are crucial qualities in an
> authoring environment. So I'd prefer posting these with an [ENH] tag.
> Also I prefer to have as few tags as possible. Cognitive load, you
> know ;-)
>
> Anyway, if you want me to add anything, just let me know.
>
> -- Bert

Prof. Dr. Stéphane DUCASSE
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/
different? ...  especially if,
  by doing something different, today might not be your last day on
earth" Calvin&Hobbes

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it..." Alan Kay.

Open Source Smalltalks: http://www.squeak.org,
http://www.gnu.org/software/smalltalk/smalltalk.html
Free books for Universities at
http://www.esug.org/sponsoring/promotionProgram.html