[Squeakfoundation]identifying existing apps to package

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Wed Feb 12 18:58:03 CET 2003

I'd like to start the packaging process for parts of the 3.5 image, as
planned.

I know Daniel and others have written tools for static analysis; I was
hoping someone could come up with a good way to actually discover the
contents of the different packages (strongly coupled clusters of
otherwise independent classes along with class extensions that they
use or that refer to them). Plus, I'd like to get the names of the
major writers of the existing code.

Ideally, this is something that we'd apply to an image that has as
many change sets in it as possible (to get the historical version
information). So if someone has (say) a 2.8 image that they've
updated all the way to 3.5a, it would be the ideal test case.

I'd like to come up with a table in HTML that lists:
* Category
* Class names
* Major authors
* Last period (quarter year?) in which substantial changes were made
* Outside dependencies

And I'd like to do this automatically, if possible.

Then we can start signing up volunteers to pick these apart.

Once we have tools and HOWTO manuals on package stripping, we should
be able to get more volunteers.

Some relatively easy targets that I can see:

* Speech
* Fabrik
* Games
* Piano Roll