[Squeakfoundation]identifying existing apps to package

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at netvision.net.il
Fri Feb 14 16:50:00 CET 2003

Hey guys.

Okay, a bit about what SpT does:

First it creates a graph where classes are nodes, and dependencies are
links. Depedencies are either Classes references, or subclassing.

Then it finds all the cycles in the graphs at once - this is called
strong connected components. Why are cycles important? because they show
precisely where things are misengineered. If Morph depends on Object,
that's fine, but if they both depend on one another... that's a problem.

To extract interesting information, we compare the cycles in the graph
to invented module boundaries (like class categories, or DVS package
boundaries). Where a cycle crosses the module boundaries, we know we
need to refactor things (we need to cut at least one of the directions
of dependency).

Did this make sense? does it sound like what you're looking for, Ned? if
so I'll go into more details..

Daniel Vainsencher