[Squeakfoundation]Taking control of parts of Squeak

Colin Putney cputney at whistler.com
Mon Feb 24 09:48:12 CET 2003

On Monday, February 24, 2003, at 05:17  AM, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
wrote:

> So... unless there are many more "strongly against" :-) then I would
> like us to work out some form of "rules" for these core package
> maintainers. This is essentially what Roel was describing.

I'm all for entrusting the Berne fellows with maintainership of the
Squeak kernel. They're the perfect candidates, actually, since they
have an itch to scratch.

However, I don't know that we need to have a big rules discussion.
There seems to be a certain level of comfort in the community with the
idea, and as long as the development of the kernel happens out in the
open, it'll become clear rather quickly what works, what doesn't and
what's problematic.

We're a small enough community that we don't have to be overly
concerned with rules, so much as establishing conventions for
distributed maintainership of Squeak. In fact, I bet that no matter
what we decide by talking about it in the abstract, what we end up
actually doing will be different, and probably better.

So my suggestion would be, just do it. And my question for they Berne
fellows would be, "what needs doing?"

Colin Putney
Whistler.com