[Squeakfoundation]Taking control of parts of Squeak

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Mon Feb 24 22:10:36 CET 2003

Hi Göran,

> 1. A very small rule set for being a kernel package maintainer. Say,
> about 5 rules? :-)

I dunno. It seems very hard (at least to me) to come up with a set of rules
here. Something more loosely defined such as "guide lines" might be more
appropriate (this is why I was referring to a "general outline").

But let's see. One rule (or rather guide line) which I think is important
for the community is a "controlled rate of evolution". What I mean by this
is that while we expect the kernel packages to evolve as any other part of
Squeak there is always the danger of breaking existing stuff (much more so
than in any other package). I _think_ that this means that larger scale
changes have to be discussed with the community first and that a time line
for deployment needs to be developed prior to making it part of the "core
release". It should give other maintainers enough time to get the changes
integrated and should probably come along with some "migration support"
(whatever this means in the concrete case - it could be automated tools, it
could just be an FAQ).

Hm ... just thinking about it I think that's essentially the only "rule" I
can come up with. Other than that there seems to be no difference between a
package which is part of "kernel Squeak" and one that isn't. It's really the
aspect of evolution (e.g., rate of change, stability etc) that makes a
kernel package "different" from any other, which effectively means that a
kernel package maintainer needs to be a bit more conservative for her stuff
than Joe-Doe.

Cheers,
  - Andreas