[Squeakfoundation]re: Outstanding 3.4 bugs?

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Thu Feb 27 20:01:40 CET 2003

Craig Latta wrote:

> Hi Ned--
>
> > Are we going to do anything about them?
>
>         I think we should address them in 3.5, not 3.4. In the absence of other
> open issues, I think we should release 3.4.

I was going to agree with Craig here, these bugs alone don't seem serious
enough to postpone the 3.4 release.

But since Andreas just posted the ClassBuilder fix, I'm thinking that may be
worth including and postponing the release by a few days for people to test.
Since I'm doing that, I could also perhaps include Ned's recent ArchiveViewer
fix, since I've looked at that and its seems straightforward and is a somewhat
important fix.

I would draw the line at looking at the other bugs, though, since there
weren't any fixes submitted for them yet.  Well, except for the desktop
gradient fix, but that bug seems too minor to add at the gamma stage.  (Even
with that bug, you still have the ability to create a gradient desktop... you
only have a problem if you happen to create a texture (grid) background
first.  There are probably hundreds of other bugs in Squeak with this level of
severity.)

The important thing is that we don't let these various bugs/fixes become
completely forgotten, which has happened in the past... they do need to be
considered for 3.5alpha.  Fixes like the gradient desktop one should probably
just go right into 3.5alpha.  I've been a bit busy with making sure 3.4 gets
done, but after that I'll look at harvesting some fixes for 3.5alpha, and
encourage others to do the same.

- Doug Way