[Squeakfoundation]re: Outstanding 3.4 bugs?

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Fri Feb 28 16:34:09 CET 2003

> For example, I consider project publishing to be extremely important
> for newbies and it has a bug we ran into, which fortunately was fixed
> by Nishihara Satoshi
> (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/squeak/message/54616). I tried with
> 3.4gammaOne and the fix is not in there.

Interesting point, yet as far as I can tell this "fix" is broken too. Just
briefly (since I got to run off in a while): Using any kind of lossy
compression in that place is just plain broken. Since we don't know about
the nature of the graphic (e.g., whether it is partly translucent, hand
drawn, a picture you imported or whatever) we simply mustn't use lossy
compression. So the only real alternative is PNG - which is effectively what
you get when you just use the regular hibernation (RLE encoding) and GZ
compression. IOW: _Anything_ you do in this place is too much. What was in
there originally is the only thing you _can_ do.

BTW, we fixed this problem in the Squeakland plugin image (Mike's got the
fix somewhere - I'm surprised he didn't send it to Squeak-Dev but now he's
off and won't be able to get back to email for another two days).

Cheers,
  - Andreas