[Squeakfoundation]Re: release prioritization (was "ClassBuilder problem")

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Fri Feb 28 22:28:18 CET 2003

On Fri, 2003-02-28 at 17:56, Simon Michael wrote:
> +1, well said.

seconded.

> I've found releasing on the first of every month to be a useful discipline.
> What changes would be needed to make this practical for squeak, I wonder ?
> Maybe none.

Yup - we've taken to release an RC every Thursday at 13:30, and when no
showstoppers have been found by Friday 18:00, it is moved into
production. I think a similar time regime could put the necessary
pressure on the cooker to help here in cleaning up procedure (it surely
helped with us!).

Probably a quarterly regime would work fine. Announce a gamma release
one month before the end of the cycle (and fork there so development
continues), and make abundantly sure that whatever happens, it is going
to be the production version one month later. This shifts quite a bit of
the responsibility for testing back to where it belongs: the users
a.k.a. the Squeak community.