[Squeakfoundation]Re: Trouble with 5150UUID-fix

Colin Putney squeakfoundation@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Thu, 2 Jan 2003 13:40:33 -0800

Six minutes later, Doug Way wrote a contrasting view:

> Okay, after poking around with 5150UUID-fix and Time and TimeStamp, it
> looks like we can remove the dependency on TimeStamp (as Tim
> suggested) and keep the same behavior by simply replacing "TimeStamp
> current asSeconds" with "Time totalSeconds" in
> UUIDGenerator>>makeSeed.  So, we should probably just do that.

I'd have to agree with Doug here, for two reasons:

1) Let's not forget the principle that the image should get smaller,
not larger. Sure, this is a small and innocuous class, but we're just
going to have to rip it out again later. And we definitely shouldn't be
adding dependencies on it to other parts of the image.

2) Adding TimeStamp isn't quite as innocuous as it seems. Having this
functionality widely available is probably a good idea, but there are
some issues that ought to be thrashed out. What about ANSI
compatibility? Should we use DateAndTime instead? What about Todd's
version of TimeStamp that works with the TimeZone stuff that Dave Lewis
wrote? Should that be added instead? Should it be part of some kind of
Time package? Will including this class in the base image break the
Comanche package?

Cheers,

Colin