[Squeakfoundation]Re: Trouble with 5150UUID-fix

Stephen Pair squeakfoundation@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Thu, 2 Jan 2003 16:59:35 -0500

Colin Putney wrote:
> I'd have to agree with Doug here, for two reasons:
>
> 1) Let's not forget the principle that the image should get smaller,
> not larger. Sure, this is a small and innocuous class, but we're just
> going to have to rip it out again later. And we definitely
> shouldn't be
> adding dependencies on it to other parts of the image.

Yes, the base image should get smaller over time, but we should be
careful not to use that goal as the sole deciding factor in whether or
not to add dependencies.  Dependencies should be based on what makes
sense for the code in question.  If things hang together better by
having UUID depend on TimeStamp, then add the dependency and remove UUID
from the base image (along with anything else that depends on UUID).

However, in this case, I do agree that the code should be changed to
"Time totalSeconds" and the dependency on TimeStamp dropped.

- Stephen