"Internal" updates (was: RE: [Squeakfoundation]Possible extra text for Welcome window in 3.4)

Doug Way squeakfoundation@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Tue, 07 Jan 2003 19:37:43 -0500

Andreas Raab wrote:

> > I'd pretty much agree with that BUT I think there is a
> > possible sensible use for it.
>
> There are actually lots of sensible uses for an internal update stream.
> But you have to use it! And, unless I am totally mistaken your message
> claimed that you were using some magic "look at internal server patch"
> which means only one thing - you don't use it.
>
> The point here is not about whether an "internal" update stream _can_ be
> useful. The point is that in order to be useful it has to be _put_ to
> use, e.g., someone has to actually run the stuff that's in it. If noone
> does, then it's only getting into the way of both, testing and the
> release process in general (e.g., "is this update included?").

I don't have a strong opinion yet on whether we should keep the internal update stream.  I actually have been using it somewhat.  Right now, the Guides and SqC have access to it.  But I agree that it's not getting nearly as much use as when SqC used it full-time, and it may become less necessary if we have stricter criteria about what gets added to the update stream.

Maybe we should keep the internal update stream for a while in 3.5alpha, at least, to see if it's useful or not.

(By the way, Scott just posted the various "fixes before 3.4gamma" updates to the internal update stream today.)

- Doug