[Squeakfoundation]The update stream, 3.4, 3.5, harvesting

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Tue Jan 28 16:02:34 CET 2003

A couple of thoughts on the text in the Welcome to... window:-

Since the entire code for the vm is _not_ included (and actually never
was except for Macs of course) we should rephrase that bit.
How about:-
"Squeak is a rapidly moving project based on Smalltalk-80, with which
it is still reasonably compatible. Squeak includes a full integrated
development environment, networking, sound synthesis and sampling,
speech synthesis, 2 & 3D graphics, arithmetic and data structure
libraries. It even incorporates tools to produce the core code for its
own virtual machine so that you can build your own VM; see <whatever the
url for the vm making page on swiki is>"

Why is the old Back to the future page pointed to as an ftp fetch? Can't
we put it on the squeak.org website 'normally'?

The Projects section notes "Others, probably more recent than this
release, may be found (someday)..." - shouldn't this be less tentative
by now?

Although the window furniture is probably reasonably familir looking to
most people, it might be worth
a) adding a balloon help to the scrollbar widgets
b) adding a text morph of some variety tellng people to move the mouse
around and let it linger on the icons to find out what they do. That
should at least let people know how to open up the other windows!

Other options I can imagine capable morphers producing

a scrolling text morph with a highlights of squeak message
a tabbed notebook with pages for each topic
a project with lots of explanatory bits and animations, labelled 'Press
here for beginners help' in large friendly letters.

tim
I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape somewhere.