[Squeakfoundation] Harvesting infrastrucure (was: Don't kill Bert's workstation)

Brent Vukmer bvukmer at blackboard.com
Thu Jun 5 14:26:11 CEST 2003

> Please remember these are not UIDs, just a count from 1 to
> number-of-messages-in-archive. If something (someone?) (me??)
> messes up
> my mbox file, these numbers will change.

Right, I know they're not actually UIDs.  And in the scenario I propose,
I guess they *still* won't be UIDs -- the process will parse and export
individual email .txt files, numbered in the order they're extracted.
But there is no safeguard against a hiccup in the parsing process.
Ideally someone should be able to download the mbox file from
lists.squeakfoundation.org, parse it, and get the same output as my
(theoretical) server.

Anybody got suggestions for a good algorithm generating the UID?  How
about a hash just using the subject line and the date?

> Anyway, I've added this:
>
>	http://swiki.gsug.org/sqfixes/last
>
> which gives you the number of the last message as plain text (same for

> sqbugs). I don't see the point in generating a list of descending
> numbers starting at 3375 - you can easily count yourself ;-)

Very cool!  Thanks Bert.  This is exactly what I want.  It will speed up
the "load updates" process significantly.