[Squeakfoundation] Harvesting infrastrucure

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Thu Jun 5 14:58:21 CEST 2003

Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> (moved to foundation list because ... it belongs here)
>
> Am Donnerstag, 05.06.03 um 16:16 Uhr schrieb Brent Vukmer:
>
>> Cool.  Would you be willing to eventually setup another "Bug Fixes
>> Archive Server" image, running on your box in parallel with the current
>> PWS-MailArchiveAction image and accessible from, say,
>> http://swiki.gsug.org/bugfixesarchive ?
>>
>> The BugFixArchive-Model framework has the beginnings of an API to
>> replace the PWS-MailArchive stuff -- at least from a back-end
>> perspective.  Right now the 1.1 API provides an email-file-repository
>> directory with static email .txt files ( and subdirectories with
>> extracted attachments ).  You could configure your Apache to just serve
>> up those static files without hitting Squeak at all.
>

> In principle, that is no problem. In practice, I probably will leave
> this place later this year, at which point this machine will go away,
> too. Swiki.gsug.org will be moved to another box, but I can not
> guarantee yet that the sqfixes archive will continue to work in its
> current form.
>
> So, in any case, it would be better if you implement this solution on
> the squeakfoundation server.

I agree that we probably shouldn't rely on Bert's server long-term.
Brent's UI is quite nice, though, and maybe we could switch the back-end
to something else at some point.  (Could be based on SqueakMap,
Monticello, or just a bunch of files on a server.)  Unfortunately I'm
not strongly motivated to work on this right away since I have plenty of
other stuff to do, and what we have seems to work pretty well. ;-)
Something to keep in mind, though.

- Doug Way