Test server (was: Re: [Squeakfoundation] Harvesting infrastrucure)

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at netvision.net.il
Fri Jun 6 14:36:40 CEST 2003

Markus Gaelli <gaelli at emergent.de> wrote:
> Hi
>
> > Maybe we can now think about setting up a simple test server, too.
> >
> I already started to do something like that and plan to finish it
> this weekend.
Cool!!

> Several questions:
>
> > I think a good minimal setup would
> > - Get the latest image/changes from the ftp site
> Shouldn't we use the update facility itself?
This has two aspects.
- I proposed something minimal. We can always add cool stuff later, but
getting feedback as often as bruce generates an updated image is already
a big improvement.
- What we definitely want to avoid is working with a stale image because
the initial release of an update was fubared. This has been known to
happen. So using bruce's image line is better than creating another
independent-always-updating image-line.

> > - Fire it up, passing it the next instructions as a parameter
> > - So that it loads SUnit from SM
> > - and the Test Suite, too
> Talked with Marcus, and he agreed that SUnit just could
> be moved into the TestSuite, or at least automatically
> loaded, if not present there.
This doesn't matter to your project, but any investment in temporary
hacks around the lack of dependencies in SM 1.0 is pretty much a waste
of time, because SM 1.1 is coming, and will enable proper load scripts
to be published on SM. So do the simplest thing that could possibly
work.

> > - Runs them
> > - Mails some simple rendering of the results (say, how many passed, and
> > the names of tests that failed) to an address it gets as a parameter.
> Like to integrate that with BugFix-Archive also.
We could concievably make it send "[BUG] IntegerSetTest>>addTest fails
in image Squeak3.6 5674" type announcements to the list, but I think
this would probably be too much traffic.

OTOH, if we create a squeak-reports mailing list, as I proposed on the
Harvesting Traffic thread, and point sqfixes to also read that, this
would become quite feasible, and possibly useful.

Again, this is a cool thing that could be added later, the important
thing is to start getting the benefits of a running test server.

Daniel