[Squeakfoundation]Deprecation problems?

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Fri Jun 6 20:47:12 CEST 2003

Hi michael

On Friday, June 6, 2003, at 08:31 AM, Michael Rueger wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> first I must apologize that I'm totally and hopelessly behind in
> reading the mails on the lists. I couldn't find answers to the
> following questions, so please be kind if I just overlooked them.
>
> And I'm sending this to the foundation list because I think this is a
> harvesting issue...
>
> Why are a lot of the (browser, Undeclared references) query messages
> broken by the introduction of SystemNavigation (I'm using image 3.6a
> update 5247)? And why are there 9 implementors of #systemNavigation
> all over the system? (I guess that is what the class extension
> discussion was about, I read that much)
The idea is that by having systemNavigation is class like stringHolder
all the subclass avoid to duplicate SystemNavigation new and still be
able to override it. Now I do not want to put
systemNavigation in Object (sure we could use a class extension) but
for the moment I'm waiting to have a better package management (even if
avi will do the right remark that monticello is working and DVS as
well). So if ***you*** reviewers, guides tell us we are really stupid
and we should have used DVS I will say why not but for the moment we do
not have a decomposition of the system in terms of packages.

> And the deprecated call should allow you to proceed with the
> deprecated version until it is fixed and not just cut you off.

We know we fixed that as soon as we realized that it was stupid. The
PROBLEM is that
not all the changesets (where this is fixed) have been harvested. I
said it, said it
and said it again but there is nothing I can do except apologize to
have been stupid at first.

By the way michael cleaning the system is not that fun and I ask
regurlarly for design idea
because I do not think that I have all the answers (the past proved
it). Now just
participate, read the propositions, browse the changesets, ....help us
to push this out of the door.

Stef