[Squeakfoundation]Deprecation problems?

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Fri Jun 6 21:56:51 CEST 2003

Hi michael

The funny aspect of cleaning the kernel was to be sure the system would
not break.
So normally it should not, you only see the problem of using a stupid
deprecated mechanism
at the beginning. Now you should get notified and process smoothly.

The most fun clean was to move the current changeset, from Smalltalk to
ChangeSet class.
I still did not get feedback on this one but this was fun to violate
temporary encapsulation to be able to pass the current instance around.

On Friday, June 6, 2003, at 08:26 PM, Michael Rueger wrote:

> Hi Stephane,
>
>> By the way michael cleaning the system is not that fun and I ask
>
> I know, remember how long I've been struggeling with the network
> rewrite :-)

I imagine that this is even worse, with all these protocols. By the way
are you
developing tests for the clean you are doing. We are trying but as I'm
the only
really active now I got stuck and continue to think about the next
clean.

>> regurlarly for design idea
>> because I do not think that I have all the answers (the past proved
>> it).
>

> There was no offense intended, you guys are doing good work.

I did not take like that at all. My message was that any important
changes need feedback.
Often we have the right answer/idea but just talking with somebody or
reading an email
really helps.