[Squeakfoundation]KCP & 3.6

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at netvision.net.il
Thu Jun 19 15:38:20 CEST 2003

Doug Way <dway at riskmetrics.com> wrote:
> On the subject of KCP, if we want to get another batch of KCP updates in
> before 3.6 goes beta, we should probably do that soon.  I'll leave it to
> Daniel to coordinate harvesting/approving that.  (Realistically I think
> we need to have one harvester in charge of these types of cleanup
> projects... it would be difficult to rely on the regular harvesting
> process to individually approve a bunch of cumulatively dependent
> changesets.)
I've waited before doing the next batch of approvals, in case someone
wants to help with reviewing the stuff. So far we don't have any
volunteers, so I'll see if I can get in a few hours of review+approvals
sometime next week. Considering the feature-deprecating nature of KCP,
I'd prefer to not continue bring in that stuff in beta.

> Speaking of 3.6beta, technically the planned date for this is in two
> days, this Friday the 20th.  But I think we could be a little flexible
> with that date, since we're now finally moving with harvesting stuff...
> definitely move to beta sometime next week though.  We should still keep
> our final date of August 1st, though, unless we agree now to postpone it
> for some reason.

I would be partial to postponing beta start by up to one week, without
postponing release (yet). I'm not big on playing around with schedules,
but since we're still experimenting in this area, so it doesn't seem
like a big deal.

As to beta itself, I'd say that during it what we should focus on doing
is that everyone that maintains/uses packages and can afford to help,
should move to using it (if up to now they were using 3.5), and then we
harvest only not-too-risky bug fixes. Another things that I would like
to see happen is that we get a lot of
A. Tests submitted to Marcus' test package.
B. Fixes to everything that's red in Marcus' test package.

Having the test package green at every release sounds like good practice
to me.

Daniel