[Squeakfoundation]KCP & 3.6

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Fri Jun 20 22:02:27 CEST 2003

Hi daniel

I know that you are doing a lot. Here are my suggestions.

> [Accufonts in if Doug happy with his changes
> DecPools in or out is Tim's call,
> KCP in or out my call,
Please have a look until KCP-0088 = 15 changeset (where a third are
simple fix).
Because they all belongs to the same logical flow.

> 3.7 alpha opens with 3.6 gamma]

> [other things like TT fonts]
>> 4 Anthony runtime enhancements (split in two - fixes and closures)
>> 5 Craig's simulator fixes
>> 7 TrueTypeTextStyle
>> 8 Diego look style enhancements

> 4 - I started to review this, and Anthony made a revision, which I
> haven't looked at yet. I asked for help, and am not getting it, so we
> can forget about it for 3.6, unless someone does something new. The
> problems outstanding are -
> A. I'm don't know enough about exceptions to notice if something there
> fubars exceptions in some strange case. We need a reviewer that knows
> the area.
> B. Anthony for some reason includes in this package myriad changes to
> existing classes. I think that class library extensions should be
> discussed on the list, and shouldn't sneak past on the tails of fixes
> or
> enhancements. I started reviewing these, but frankly, it's quite
> tedious, especially since I don't know which, if any, the code we
> actually want depends on. To be honest, I would be quite glad if
> someone
> simply verifies they are not needed, rewrites the code to not need them
> if the do, and gives us a very short list of changes that are actually
> needed, if any, with some explanation of what general case this code
> serves.

So reask for an official help into the mailing-list and state it like
that.
I'm not good in exception either and I agree with you that if there are
a lot of
small changes everywhere this can be tedious.

> 5. Were reposted, but we have no review. Berne have expressed some
> interest in testing this, but nothing more. IMO, this gets pushed from
> 3.6, though it might be reasonable to accept in beta, since they're
> fixes.

Alex is using that daily. He is really happy with that, because he can
finally debug
its own VM extensions/modifications with it. This is now one week and
half that
he is working with it and nothing wrong is happening so I would include
it.
Ask him his point of view. I think that this is a really important
aspects of squeak
that we should not continue to keep desynchronized.

> 7. Yoshiki said he's working on a revision. Will need to get
> reviewed...
> not 3.6.

Why why why. Just wait. Ask Yoshiki to do something faster.

> 8. Avi said he doesn't like something about the scrollbars. These don't
> have a preference, which Diego said he'd treat as a bug. I don't know
> of
> review/testing status.

If one guy say something why should we stop. because all kinds of
people said stupid stuff
about SystemDictionary recently and then. They have no point.

So ask diego.