[Squeakfoundation]KCP & 3.6

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Fri Jun 20 19:44:25 CEST 2003

Daniel Vainsencher wrote:

>[Accufonts in if Doug happy with his changes
>DecPools in or out is Tim's call,
>KCP in or out my call,
>3.7 alpha opens with 3.6 gamma]
>I agree on these. We enter beta friday the 27th?

Yep, that can be the plan.

>[other things like TT fonts]
>

>>4 Anthony runtime enhancements (split in two - fixes and closures)
>>5 Craig's simulator fixes
>>7 TrueTypeTextStyle
>>8 Diego look style enhancements
>>

>4 - I started to review this, and Anthony made a revision, which I
>haven't looked at yet. I asked for help, and am not getting it, so we
>can forget about it for 3.6, unless someone does something new. The
>problems outstanding are -
>A. I'm don't know enough about exceptions to notice if something there
>fubars exceptions in some strange case. We need a reviewer that knows
>the area.
>B. Anthony for some reason includes in this package myriad changes to
>existing classes. I think that class library extensions should be
>discussed on the list, and shouldn't sneak past on the tails of fixes or
>enhancements. I started reviewing these, but frankly, it's quite
>tedious, especially since I don't know which, if any, the code we
>actually want depends on. To be honest, I would be quite glad if someone
>simply verifies they are not needed, rewrites the code to not need them
>if the do, and gives us a very short list of changes that are actually
>needed, if any, with some explanation of what general case this code
>serves.

Given this and Tim's comments about the SmaCC license etc., I think this
is one item that definitely won't make it in for 3.6.  It seems like a
big enough change that it should go in at the beginning of an alpha
cycle anyway.  If we can agree about the licensing and work out these
other issues, perhaps it could go in near the beginning of 3.7alpha.

- Doug