[Squeakfoundation]re: TrueType font support and 3.6

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Fri Jun 20 20:16:21 CEST 2003

Andreas Raab wrote:

>Completely agree.
>
>BTW, Tim, does *installing* or *using* the TT fonts slow your system down?
>If the latter I would claim that that's almost normal - the TT fonts require
>more expensive rendering and while a lot of this can (given time) be tweaked
>some of it just can't be changed.

Right.  Assuming it's using (not just installing) the TT fonts that
slows things down on slower systems, we could incorporate the TT fonts
changes, but not actually change any of the default fonts to be TT fonts
for now.  (Maybe change a default font to be a TT font sometime in 3.7
if it's working really well.)

We could change a bit of text in the Welcome window to the ComicSansMS
antialiased font for demonstration purposes, with a hint about how to
change your default font and how to load new TT fonts with the
FileList.  (Hmm, I just tried "set font..." on some text in the middle
of the Welcome window and it appears that TT fonts are a bit buggy when
mixed with the regular strike fonts.  It's fine if I add some TT text at
the end, though.  Or we could add a small standalone demo window.  Or
just not have a demo. ;-) )

Anyway, I'd want to at least double-check with Yoshiki first to see if
he has any impending changes coming up before incorporating the TT
stuff.  (I'm cc-ing him on this message.)

- Doug