[Squeakfoundation]re: TrueType font support and 3.6

Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Fri Jun 20 18:45:47 CEST 2003

  Hello,

# I'm on sqf list as well.

  Sorry for really slow response, and sloow work on cleaning up the
stuff!  I'm kind of embarrassed not finishing this up, but I have to
say that there are more stuff than I can handle...

> Right.  Assuming it's using (not just installing) the TT fonts that
> slows things down on slower systems, we could incorporate the TT fonts
> changes, but not actually change any of the default fonts to be TT fonts
> for now.  (Maybe change a default font to be a TT font sometime in 3.7
> if it's working really well.)

  One thing we can do to speed thing up a bit and reduce memory
consumption is to add new bb combination rule along the line of the
one by Arjen for his FT2 support.  If you guys agree to move to this
direction, I can start integrating his BB into the next version of
TTTextStyle package.

> (Hmm, I just tried "set font..." on some text in the middle
> of the Welcome window and it appears that TT fonts are a bit buggy when
> mixed with the regular strike fonts.  It's fine if I add some TT text at
> the end, though.  Or we could add a small standalone demo window.  Or
> just not have a demo. ;-) )

  This bug is known and fixed.  Stephane knows how to fix it:-)

> Anyway, I'd want to at least double-check with Yoshiki first to see if
> he has any impending changes coming up before incorporating the TT
> stuff.  (I'm cc-ing him on this message.)

  Ah, there going to be some changes, which should come first before
the stuff gets incorporated...

-- Yoshiki