VMMaker( Re: [Squeakfoundation]KCP & 3.6)

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Fri Jun 20 20:09:53 CEST 2003

"PhiHo Hoang" <phiho.hoang at rogers.com> wrote:

>     Now I have Squeak.exe with 'SqueakFFIPrims' builtin.
>     This is cool.
Now just what is particularly cool about this? I don't get it.

>     Just for fun, 'FontPlugin', 'Mpeg3Plugin', RePlugin' were moved
>     to 'plugins.ext' together with 'SqueakFFIPrims' for another build
>     and got undefined references to
>
>         1/- 'FontPlugin_exports',
>         2/- 'Mpeg3Plugin_exports'
>         3/- 'RePlugin_exports'
>
>     These 3 plugins can no longer be built as external ?
>     'SqueakFFIPrims'  could be slided in and out with ease.
>
>     Did I miss something ?
Yes. When you generate plugins as internal their list of exports is
incorporated into the generated vm/sqNamedPrimitives.h file. This is so
that the plugin code searching function can find the functions. See the
code in Cross/vm/sqNamedPrims.c for details. If you simply move the
plugins from plugins.int to plugins.ext you are now making the
sqNamedPrimitives.h file invalid and you will get that error. All
plugins can be built as internal or external as long as you use the
tools as they were designed to be used. As soon as you go beyond that
you should expect problems.

As I recall your code is mucking around with the way plugins are handled
in a very platform specific way so you are well outside the original
design spec of the tool.

tim
Random access is the optimum of the mass storages.