[Squeakfoundation]KCP & 3.6

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Fri Jun 20 19:52:09 CEST 2003

> This sounds reasonable to me.  If it's okay with Tim, we could
> incorporate the current DecPools changes, and then wait until 3.7 to
> worry about converting the rest of the pools.
That would be fine by me. I'm not overly worried that we can't convert
TextConstants yet (it's just work and not particularly difficult work at
that, just tedious) it's more the issues relating to backward
compatability. The fileout stuff and so on. For example if there is an
important project out there on Bob's Super Swiki that happens to include
code that tries to install a now-obsolete version of FFIConstants it
will just plain blow up. I assume there is some potential for catching
the problem and working round it but I haven't seen code. Then again I
haven't noticed a project with a problem. On the gripping hand I haven't
loaded a project since 3.2.

If there is somebody out there with some time and a yen to help, try
what happens. If you have a fast machine and broadband it probably won't
take terribly long. Hell, write a unit test to grab projects and load
them - it wouldn't be a bad thing to have as an acceptance test.

tim
Strange OpCodes: PHP: Put Hackers into Privileged mode