[Squeakfoundation]re: TrueType font support and 3.6

Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Fri Jun 20 21:50:05 CEST 2003

  Hello,

> Try this to see how fast your machine renders the characters:
>
> string := String withAll: ((Character value: 0) to: (Character value:
> 255)).
> TTCFont recreateCache.
> time := (Time millisecondsToRun: [ TTCFont allInstancesDo: [ :f | f
> widthOfString: string ]]) / TTCFont allInstances size.
> time := time / 256.0.
>
> On my 900 MHz Transmeta machine, I get about 1.45 milliseconds per
> character. On my 1200 MHz Duron desktop, I get about 0.70
> milliseconds per character.

  On my Centrino 900MHz, it is about 0.61.

  Needless to say, this test includes the "extra large size" fonts.
For the normal size characters the speed is about twice as fast.

  If you get the MessageTally, 70% of time goes to the
BalloonEngine>>copyLoopFaster.  This is why I think Arjen's new BB
combinationRule will help here a lot.

-- Yoshiki