VMMaker( Re: [Squeakfoundation]KCP & 3.6)

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sat Jun 21 13:46:26 CEST 2003

Hi PhiHo,

> > Yes. When you generate plugins as internal their list of exports is
> > incorporated into the generated vm/sqNamedPrimitives.h
> > file.

Right, but there's no reason why one can't regenerate this from the make
file. This was one of the reasons for generating the plugins.int and
plugins.ext, but then I never got around to doing it - turns out that I
always use VMMaker instead of hacking those files in Emacs ;-)

>     I am quite happy that MobVM does not need two different
> versions of the same plugin to use it as internal or external
> plugin.

Depends on what you mean by "version". The source code is entirely the same
it's all just dependent on one #define which is provided by the make file
automatically (based on plugins.int and plugins.ext). The only thing that's
lacking is the rule for updating sqNamedPrims.h - care to write one?

> The code for SqM.exe or any other plugins need NOT be changed
> when any of the plugins change status from internal to external
> or vice versa.

Neither in the current build process - if you use VMMaker (and after all
that's what it's for ;-) See my comment above - I got so totally used to
controlling everything from VMMaker that the only thing that I'm still
missing is a big green "build" button in it (which invokes the build
process, saves the image and restarts with the new VM). Heh, heh ;-)

Cheers,
  - Andreas