[Squeakfoundation]re: TrueType font support and 3.6

Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Sat Jun 21 11:00:56 CEST 2003

  Andreas,

> >   If you get the MessageTally, 70% of time goes to the
> > BalloonEngine>>copyLoopFaster.  This is why I think Arjen's new BB
> > combinationRule will help here a lot.
>
> How so? The time spent in #copyLoopFaster exclusively goes into the
> anti-aliased rasterization of the vector shape in which BitBlt isn't
> involved at all. I don't see how some new combination rule would help.

  I was plain wrong...  What I was thinking?  This test was to create
the glyphs in cache.

  In more realistic examples, where character glyphs are reused, this
combination rule:

    sourceForm: 8 bit alpha mask
    halftone: color
    destForm: destination

will help the BB part because (I think) it reduce the memory traffic
and unnecessary cache flushing at text color change.

-- Yoshiki

P.S.
  This is now more squeak-dev topic.  If it continues, let's move to
there.