[Squeakfoundation]ContextCleanupPlus-ajh (was: Re: KCP & 3.6)

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sun Jun 22 11:57:10 CEST 2003

Hi anthony

I would really like to see your changes get in. I like closures
***really*** I was born in Lisp and scheme. I was thinking about your
changes....

To summarize it could you produce a changeset with the changes that
have to go straight
in the image such as

> CompiledMethod>>headerDescription
> Boolean>>asBit - Return 1 for true, 0 for false.
> LargePositiveInteger>>as31BitSmallInt - Keep my 31 bits the same but
> put them
> in a SmallInt.
> Class>>becomeClass: otherClass - Become forward the other class and
> fix up the
> global dictionary and system organization as well.
Do you have some test for these one because I would like to know what
is the consequence
/limit of becomeClass: especially in terms of the metaclass? Does it
work on metaclass too?

> PositionableStream>>back,current,previous,do:,at:,includes: - Added
> helpful
> methods for stepping back and looking into the collection itself.
>
> WriteStream>>insert:,removeNext: - Additional manipulation beside
> appending.
For these two one I have no problem but please send that into the
mailing-list to get input.

By the way what is the difference between literal equal and ==. I'm
sure there is one but your
example does not bring that up front.
	'anthony' = #anthony, but ('anthony' literalEqual: #anthony) not.

Marcus this is not because it works that we should directly introduce
it. For example,\
I want to know if these protocols work well in subclasses
> SequenceableCollection>>allButFirstDo:,allButLastDo:,atLast:,atLast:put
> :
> ,copyGrowBy:copyWithFirst:,detectIndex:,reverseDetect:,slide:by:,with:w
> thIndexDo: - Additional methods that are similar to other methods that
> already
> exist and should be part of the protocol because they are useful.  I
> bet many
> of these have been needed in the past but were coded out the long way
> in the
> user.

I really think that we should not introduce this that way.
> Collection>>collectArray: - Same as collect: except always return an
> array.
Normally collect returns the same kind of collection that the one that
is iterated, so what
are the other alternatives.
Anthony why do you need it and why (mycol collect: []) asArray or
myColl asArray collect: []
does not work. I imagine that this is too costly. So why don't you
manipulate directly array or why do you need array at the end?

> OrderedCollection>>bottom,top,pop,push,etc. - stack protocol.
I really have a problem with this one. because I will get an
orderedCollection sends it
but I do not know what push means in terms of OrderedCollection because
I will be able to send other message of orderedCollection to the
collection and I can mess up everything.
so why don't you implement a Stack if you need one and we can this
class to the collection hierarchy.

> Number>>extend: - Like #to: except designate the length instead of the
> last.
DNU (but did not get the time to look inside)

So please split those changes and submit them to the mailing list. Can
you reply to my points?
Thanks and also to the point of Smacc. Using if using the output of a
tool forces us to have the same license that the tool, I stop CS.
Because I use latex and it does not mean that my articles are GNU
license.

Stef