[Squeakfoundation]ContextCleanupPlus-ajh (was: Re: KCP & 3.6)

PhiHo Hoang phiho.hoang at rogers.com
Mon Jun 23 10:58:34 CEST 2003

Hi Göran,

> If we choose to move over to a SmaCC generated Compiler (which of course
> would be technically great) we will have a Compiler that can not be
> modified using only Squeak itself. Unless SmaCC gets included into
> official Squeak of course - which it could if it came under Squeak-L,
> which it doesn't.

    How so ? SmallCC can sit anywhere in the world, (even on SqMap ;-)
    Any one needs to use it, just load it, use it, generate the new
compiler,
    save the new compiler package (everything is a package, right ? )
    just don't save the image (what is an image, anyway ;-).

    Assuming that it must be in the image, which one ? minimal ? basic ?
    or kitchen sink ?

    Did I miss anything ? Were there even arguments to the effects that
    SqMap package is still useful when it's not in the image ;-)

> People may think this is a "small" issue. Personally I think it is a
> quite important issue. Every other little piece of the Squeak image is
> modifiable by Squeak itself.

    Luckily that Squeak does have an editor,

> The VM too - though not to the full extent (you need a C compiler etc).

    otherwise one needs Emacs as well. (or Notepad ;-)

> This would suddenly make the Squeak image "non self hosted".

    Let Squidders tell the world what 'self hosting' really means ;-)

    Cheers,

    PhiHo.